Friday, May 29, 2009

Pictures

I've had a hard time getting pictures copied from our camera to my laptop. That's why it's taken me a few days to get these up--in addition to having just given birth and being busy getting to know our newest daughters. I want to write about the birth of Anne-Claire and Elise but wanted to get these pictures up asap, so the write-up will come later. The girls are almost 60 hours old as I work on this and are doing wonderfully--Praise God! They both lost a little weight today but that is to be expected of newborns. Anne-Claire weighs 1600 grams (she weighed 1660 at birth), and Elise weighs 1180 grams (she weighed 1200 grams at birth). They were on CPAP immediately after birth and today moved to vapotherm, which means they're getting a little pressure to assist their breathing. They've both been getting 21% oxygen, or "room air," which is what we all breathe. They're tolerating their feeds really well. They're getting whatever colostrum I can pump and preemie formula through an NG-tube as well as TPN via IV, which is a nutrient-rich supplement. They're already making feeding cues such as acting hungry when it's time to eat, rooting around in their blankets, smacking their lips, and sucking vigorously on their passies. I'm hopeful that they'll let me try to nurse sometime next week after they're 33 weeks. So, there's my quick update and here are the pictures I promised. Enjoy!

The weekend before their birth. Emma and Charlotte helping get the babies on the monitor. I am still in disbelief that I had two babies in my belly--especially now that I see them on the outside.


On Wednesday, getting to take Anne-Claire's temperature



Elise's tiny foot with long toes next to my thumb


Elise's very, very thin umbilical cord--proof of God's goodness in giving Elise her daily bread


Getting to hold Anne-Claire for the first time--sweet bliss!



Daddy and Elise for the first time



Anne-Claire--CPAP and goggle-free
I know she looks like a "normal-sized" baby in this picture because there's no reference point for her size, but rest assured, she really is tiny at around 3 1/2 pounds. I do think she looks big compared to Elise though.


Elise on vapotherm and goggle-free


Emma and Charlotte meeting Anne-Claire for the first time.


Emma and Charlotte meeting Elise for the first time.


Emma, adoring Elise.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures! Everyone looks wonderful, including Mom and Dad. I get goosebumps everytime I see the girls, they are absolutely precious.
I can't wait to see them in person.

catinbody said...

Missy, you look beautiful! How do you do that after giving birth to twins and 5 weeks in the hospital? The girls look really good too--just like regular sized babies. I'm so glad to hear how well they're doing.

teacherjanet said...

Love the pics! It makes me happy to see the babies already doing kangaroo care! :)