Monday, April 27, 2009

A word about the help we're receiving

All of my nurses have asked me the same question each time they learn I have two daughters at home and no family in Indiana: "Whose taking care of them?" My answer is always the same: "My husband is home with them each night, and our wonderful church family and other dear friends take care of them during the day." I love to be able to tell people from outside Bloomington about the abundance of love our family is shown each and every day and how my church takes the command to bear one another's burdens seriously.

When I was first put on bedrest at home, the ladies in my home fellowship group put their heads together and came up with a system where others in church could sign up to help. My friend, Amanda, set up a calendar on Google that allows ladies to sign up for childcare and meals. I had ladies coming to my house Monday-Friday in four-hour shifts to care for me and the girls and bringing meals every evening. Another sweet woman had already been coming to my house on Friday mornings to clean, and my sweet friend, Julie, began taking over laundry and carpool duties. We followed this schedule for about two weeks before I was hospitalized in Indianapolis. Since then, the routine has changed slightly. Instead of ladies coming to our house, Emma and Charlotte go to the houses of those who've signed up for a particular day. Several ladies have brought Emma and Charlotte up to see me, which means the world to me. I'm looking forward to a visit this afternoon!

I am confident that my family is being cared for and provided for while I'm away. I praise God for giving me such a generous church family and such selfless friends. While I wish that we were closer to Texas and family, I know that God is taking care of us here in Indiana through the arms and hands of friends that have become family to us. I am also thankful for all the prayers that are being lifted up on our behalf literally across the country. I just got an email this morning from the mother of one of Chris's students who has been praying for us in Ohio. God is using our situation to draw many to Himself in prayer. I believe that He is being glorified through this trial we face and that makes everything worthwhile.

No comments: