Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Amnioreduction

My anxiety level as we left our house on Monday was high. My prayer, "When my anxieties multiply within me, thy consolations delight my soul," became a mantra that got me through the incredibly stressful first half of the day. By the time we got to the clinic in Cincinnati, I thought I might pass out, but my rock and dearly beloved husband, prayed me through it and held my hand the whole time. Dr. Jaekle, too, sensed my anxiety (I was visibly shaking as I lay down on the table) and did a great job calming me down. He explained that the needle used was smaller than the one used to draw blood and that Anne-Claire was in no danger from the needle because the sharp part is actually extracted after penetration and only a narrow catheter remains in the womb. He reassured us that bumping into it would be like bumping into a straw--absolutely no danger. He also paid me what he said was a major obstetrical complement--he had to raise the table completely in order to reach me and was able to use the short needle rather than the long one to reach my womb. While gathering all his supplies, he realized he didn't have the right kind of tubing. Five or six people entered the room looking for the tubing he wanted and none of them could find it. Chris leaned in and whispered that it reminded him of a Seinfeld episode. I replied that I hoped Dr. Jaekle was a real doctor and not just pretending to be one like Kramer. I wanted to see his diploma on the wall. We giggled, which drew the attention of the doctor who wanted to know what was so funny. He'd already proven to have a sense of humor so we told him. It definitely eased some of the tension I was feeling. Finally, another doctor entered and said he should use the "kit." As Dr. Jaekle opened the packaging he revealed why he doesn't like to use the "kit," pulling a huge needle probably 15 inches long out of the box: "This tends to worry people when they see it." He also commented on the $300 the kits cost to open when all he needed was a small piece of tubing. I told him I hoped that wouldn't end up on my bill, and he knew I was relaxed enough to proceed.

Chris advised me to close my eyes and to use the breathing I'd learned in childbirth class, so the actual needle stick was not too bad. Having the catheter in me was uncomfortable and caused some cramping. Before putting in the needle, Dr. Jaekle had used ultrasound to see where Anne-Claire was and to find the deepest vertical pocket of amniotic fluid. I almost told him that he might want to check on her location again because of her high activity level but kept quiet, letting him do his job. But sure enough, as soon as the catheter was in, there was Anne-Claire investigating what this new intrusion into her space might be. She actually reached up and grabbed it and began pushing against it, which both Dr. Jaekle and I could feel. He thought he might have to restick me because she was causing the fluid to slow down its flow, but thankfully, didn't have to resort to that. He filled 2 and 1/3 jars with fluid, which was around 1 1/2 liters. I immediately felt less pressure and could see my belly had gone down in size. Dr. Jaekle mentioned it was softer to the touch as well. Anne-Claire's fluid level went from 7.7 cm to 4.6cm. He also measured Elise's fluid, which was 2.1 cm. Our hope and prayer is that Elise's levels will increase while Anne-Claire's stabilize. He said Elise's fluid could begin increasing in a day or so. He also allowed us to listen to their heartbeats, which is always a wonderful sound. As he shifted the U/S wand just slightly, I wondered aloud whether he'd actually gotten Elise's heartbeat. Yes, he assured me he had. What didn't make sense to me was that rather then being stuck way over on my right side, Elise was now in the middle of my belly. She'd already become "unstuck." It was remarkable! Even in those few moments, God was blessing us with such encouragement.

We left feeling encouraged and hopeful. God can use this procedure to heal our daughters. We pray that is what He will do. Dr. Jaekle could see that I was cramping quite a bit as we left, so he recommended I take Motrin for just a dose or two and to spend the night in Cincinnati rather than attempting the drive back to Bloomington. I am grateful for his recommendation--I was able to rest Monday night and then okay to travel on Tuesday.

I continue to feel both girls moving actively and have not started feeling full of fluid again, so I'm hoping this means the girls fluid levels are equalizing nicely. We return to Cincinnati tomorrow, Thursday, March 19, for our first follow-up ultrasound and ECHO and will meet with a fetal surgeon. It will be a long day, so please pray for strength for both Chris and I as well as positive results. We also have to go back next Tuesday, March 24, to repeat the tests for a final verdict on the success of the procedure. We're taking this one step at a time, and focusing on each day as it comes, trying not to worry about the possibility of surgery until we have to.

Prayer Requests:
1) that God would be pleased to save our girls and to use this amnioreduction as a tool for His glory;

2) that our family would continue to trust Him and rely on His strength;

3) that I would get the bedrest and nutrition that I need to provide the best possible environment for the girls;

4) that Emma and Charlotte would be obedient and patient through this difficult time;

5) and for all the loving friends and family who continue to pray for us and who are laying down their lives in service to our family.

1 comment:

Tim Bayly said...

Dear Chris and Michelle,

Godspeed tomorrow. So good to hear of God's kindness in the past two days. Mary Lee and I will be praying and look forward to seeing you.

Love,