Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thursday, June 18

Elise, 3 weeks, 3 pounds 10 ounces

Anne-Claire, 3 weeks, 4 pounds 12 ounces


Dr. Lauren Dungy-Poythress holding Anne-Claire and Elise


The girls' room


The board with their daily stats


Anne-Claire and Elise were 3 weeks old when we thought they would be transported to Bloomington Hospital. I went to the NICU and took pictures of the babies, their room, and Dr. Dungy-Poythress holding both girls, thinking it was their last day there. The next morning I called the nurse manager at Bloomington Hospital (BHHS) who was going to work out the details of the transfer with our insurance. She told me that another baby was being transferred from Riley and it had only taken an hour to get approval from the insurance, which happened to be the same one as ours. She promised to call me back in an hour. When she called she had not heard back yet from the insurance but expected to hear shortly. After waiting all day, we were finally told that the insurance had not gotten back with BHHS, so we'd have to wait until Monday for the transfer. I really wanted to go ahead and have the girls transported even with the risk that we'd have to pay the $4000 bill ourselves. The woman at BHHS advised against doing that because she thought the risk was too great. I was bitterly disappointed and had little hope that the transfer would happen. On Monday, we learned that the insurance had denied our request because Bloomington Hospital could not offer our girls any better care than they were already getting in Indy. They had no interest in our girls being closer to home, and thereby, being more easily nursed by their mama. I tried to not be too upset and to put my hope in Christ. I knew that He had a better plan for our girls than anything I could imagine.

5 comments:

Rachel Pierson said...

All will be well, Michelle. You're right, Jesus knows what He is doing, and is perfecting you through this trial.

Love and prayers, Rachel

Lauren said...

Hey Michelle,
I just read your update through the CGS email. I know exactly what you are going through with blood-oxygen levels and all. I also know what it is like to think that your baby is finally coming home with you only to find out that you still have to wait. The word that I kept muttering to myself was, "Patience." Be patient, Michelle. You have been the epitome of this word for the last several months and look at how great things have turned out this far! Another week, another two weeks, even another month...you can get through this and you will be all the more thankful to God for your girls and for His sustaining power.

I love you,
Lauren

Suz said...

Michelle, we haven't heard from you in such a long time. Hoping and praying all of you are just busy as heck with your little bundles of joy. Keep in touch.

Susan H
SSPOM

Rachel Pierson said...

Praying for Elise, now, especially!

Anonymous said...

HI, You dont know me but first of all congrats on the babies, you have 4 beautiful girls.
I am writing you because I came across your website based on your last name and was wondering if we are related. My great grandfather Robert Holmes died many many years ago and all his kids never really kept family history or told any. So if you wouldn't mind letting me know if we might be family or not, I would love to know. Thank you for your time.